[Dixielandjazz] Climax Jazz Band with Dick Cary video "Magnolia'sWedding Day"

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Jul 3 15:06:44 PDT 2011

A couple weeks ago David Richoux posted this video of Dick Cary with the Climax Jazz Band.

I had the great pleasure of playing with Dick when I lived in Los Angeles.  He was a frequent sub in my Great Pacific Jazz Band.  Then when my pianist (I was playing banjo at the time) Jim Turner moved back east, Dick took over the piano.

Dick would show up carrying his alto horn (Peck Horn) in a paper bag.  He'd set it down under the piano.  Since I stood near the piano, I'd often step on it, putting even more dents in it.  The horn already looked as if someone had taken a hammer to it.

Dick would often pick up the Peck Horn and play wonderful, melodic solos.  With Bob Havens on trombone, they would often trade 4s and 8s a la the Eddie Condon days.

Dick Cary's beautiful solos on the Peck Horn, a horn not usually used for Jazz solos was remarkable.  For a real treat, listen to this video of Dick with the Climax Jazz Band of Toronto Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHM2t7aUfM

And here is another one:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4i9x9_dick-cary-climax-jazz-band-as-long_music

For over 50 years in New York and then Los Angeles, Dick hosted a Tuesday night Rehearsal band.  He would write arrangements for the band all week.  Then on Tuesday night, some of the best Jazz and studio musicians in town would come, just to sight read his arrangements.  I was privileged to be present at some of these rehearsals.

The first Tuesday after Dick passed away, the musicians showed up at Dick's house for rehearsal.  Not knowing the house alarm code, they went in as usual and started playing Dick's arrangements.  Pretty soon the police came roaring up the driveway and were greeted with a 17 piece band playing Jazz.

The next door neighbor was over heard saying to the police, "I don't know officer, they just broke in and started playing."

To this day, the band continues to rehearse in another location on Tuesday nights, going through the thousands of arrangements and original compisitions left by Dick Cary.  Dick Hamilton now leads the band.  He had Cary's Peck Horn restored and plays it on the recordings.

To listen to and purchase some of Dick Cary's Tuesday Night Friends, led by Dick Hamilton, see:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4i9x9_dick-cary-climax-jazz-band-as-long_music

For you Mouldy Figgs, I warn you . . . . This is not Dixieland.  It is right out of Dick's incredible, musical brain.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"Politicians and diapers should be changed often and for the same reason."