[Dixielandjazz] DJ's In LA Help

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sun Jan 30 16:52:19 PST 2011

On 1/30/2011 6:13 PM, Don Robertson wrote:
> Don't know about the others, but the guy who did the weather report
> was Johnny Magnus.
>
> Napa Don Robertson
>
> On 1/30/2011 7:39 AM, Robert Ringwald wrote:
>> This from a singer's
>> email list.
>>
>> During the 1950's, I spent lots of time listening to Los Angeles jazz
>> DJ's. For the
>> life of me, however, I can't remember the names of these:
>>
>> 1. There was a jazz DJ whose programs started at midnight and lasted
>> into the wee
>> hours. He called himself "The Voice of Jazz." He spoke in a very
>> deep, ultra-cool,
>> drugged-out sounding voice. I remember him only as "The Voice."
>>
>> 2. There was another LA jazz DJ whose beginning and ending theme
>> music was taken
>> from Miles Davis/Gil Evans' "Miles Ahead."
>>
>> 3. There was a daytime LA jazz DJ who used to do a daily national
>> weather report
>> to the music of Count Basie, with Neal Hefti's arrangement of "Cute."
>> When the weather
>> headed south, the pilot who took us on the voyage was Frank Wess on
>> flute.
>>
>> I should remember the names, but time has faded them for me. If
>> anyone knows, I feel
>> it will come from here.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Irving
>>

>> --Bob Ringwald
>> www.ringwald.com
>> Fulton Street Jazz Band
>> 530/ 642-9551 Office
>> 916/ 806-9551 Cell
>> Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV
>>
>> After a night of drink, drugs and wild sex Bill woke up to find
>> himself next to a
>> really ugly woman.
>> That's when he realized he had made it home safely.

Since my time (mid 40;s in L.A. as a young about-to-be, the DJ's of
choice were Frank Bull and Benson Curtis on KFWB. We also "dug" Jim
Hathorne on a station in "Pasa=hogan"
(Pasadeno) and  then some piano jazz plus funny bits from KFI's Steve
Allen - later moving to NYC for the Tonight Show.
Interstingly, Jim Hawthorne was on a "Red" Ingle date for Capitol, but
with out Red or the usual sidemen -  thanks to Mr. Petrillo's strike. So
dad's writers came up with a take off on Nature Boy, called Serutan Yob
(Nature's Boy baclwards. Sincew the regular workng musicians couldn't do
the date, but as writer's they could do the writing and arranging, the
royalties were still to them.
I has contact about ten years aog with Jim Hawthorne and he was on a
station in Denver. Very clever man and funny and for we teeny bobbers of
the late 40's he was "the man" for late at night radio - in addition to
the aforementioned Mssrs Bull and Curtis. Incidentley this strike helped
put the coffin nails in the big band business. Without records to keep
an audience for live perfomances, the band tours  of old dried up and
never came back like they had been. Since vocal music was not banned,
name vocalists backed by singers doing  section parts like horns would
have became the newformat, By the time the strike was over, it was too
late to recapture that audience of the past.
As pone about to hitthe80 mark on the tenth, I find my memory still
working pretty good, but the chops are history after hanging the horn up
three years ago when lack of work  in this part of the cursed rap and
over-amped guitar world,  and a touch of asthma kicking in, just made
making lamps of brass horns an attractive way to spend time between fly
hatches on my nearby trout streams.
I have now become a certified and knowledgeable listener. And it ain't
all that bad!
Don Ingle