[Dixielandjazz] DJ's In LA Help

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Jan 30 07:39:05 PST 2011

This from a singer's
email list.

During the 1950's, I spent lots of time listening to Los Angeles jazz DJ's. For the
life of me, however, I can't remember the names of these:

1. There was a jazz DJ whose programs started at midnight and lasted into the wee
hours. He called himself "The Voice of Jazz." He spoke in a very deep, ultra-cool,
drugged-out sounding voice. I remember him only as "The Voice."

2. There was another LA jazz DJ whose beginning and ending theme music was taken
from Miles Davis/Gil Evans' "Miles Ahead."

3. There was a daytime LA jazz DJ who used to do a daily national weather report
to the music of Count Basie, with Neal Hefti's arrangement of "Cute." When the weather
headed south, the pilot who took us on the voyage was Frank Wess on flute.

I should remember the names, but time has faded them for me. If anyone knows, I feel
it will come from here.

Thanks in advance.

Irving

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

After a night of drink, drugs and wild sex Bill woke up to find himself next to a
really ugly woman.
That's when he realized he had made it home safely.