[Dixielandjazz] Rob Fisher Celebrates the Gershwins

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 29 07:00:36 PST 2011

Can't go wrong adding Gershwin Songs to Dixieland Concerts. How many
of us play " Blah, blah, blah, blah, Moon"? Below is Sassy doing it.
See the last paragraphs in the article for an explanation of the song.
For lyrics see:  http://www.solopassion.com/node/2079

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4loQY9P_jOs

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

The Cheeriness of Those Gershwin Boys

NY TIMES - by Stephen Holden - January 29, 2011

An unquenchable joie de vivre buoyed by an antic humor that wells up
like spring water: the impulse to feel good is a driving force in the
songs of George and Ira Gershwin, perhaps more so than in the work of
any other major 20th-century songwriting team. No wonder everyone
loves the Gershwins.

An intuitive understanding of the optimistic spirit fueling much of
the American songbook is one of many qualities that set the conductor
and musical scholar Rob Fisher above and apart from almost every other
musician working the same territory. And on Wednesday evening, his
Lincoln Center American Songbook concert, “Fascinatin’ Rhythm: Rob
Fisher Celebrates the Gershwins, With Victoria Clark and Norm Lewis,”
at the Allen Room, captured the brothers’ bonhomie.

The 90-minute program, a sequel to Mr. Fisher’s equally insightful
Cole Porter tribute that opened the American Songbook series in 2009,
featured two of the same hands: the singer Ms. Clark and the woodwind
player Steve Kenyon. Instead of David Hyde Pierce, Ms. Clark’s vocal
playmate in the Porter anthology, her leading man was Mr. Lewis, who
in the recent Broadway show “Sondheim on Sondheim” delivered the most
truthful version of “Being Alive” that I can recall.

Rounding out the ensemble were Greg Utzig on guitar, Dick Sarpola on
bass, Erik Charlston on percussion (mostly vibes) and Mr. Fisher on
piano.

As he has shown time and again, especially in his “Encores”
performances at City Center, Mr. Fisher is a pragmatic purist with a
light touch who disdains the bloat and pomposity that often accrue to
contemporary performances of vintage theater songs. Yet he discreetly
lets a contemporary sensibility filter into everything so that even
period jokes and wordplay sound fresh.

Ms. Clark is an interpretive wonder who can go from operatic to tart
in the same phrase if necessary. Instead of bearing down on lyrics to
elucidate their meaning or to showcase a rhyme, she creates a complex
character from whom words slide out as naturally as though they just
popped into her mind. Refreshing the impossible-to-refresh “Man I
Love,” sung with minimal accompaniment, she projected an innocent
dreaminess that gave way to determination before returning to
ingenuousness.

Mr. Lewis, who can easily sound heroic, held back, the better to
embody the Gershwin leading man as a confident, cheerful partner in a
romantic adventure devoid of macho posturing. Especially in the duets
about incompatibility, “I Don’t Think I’ll Fall in Love Today” and
“Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off,” a frisky, madcap playfulness added
zest.

Sheldon Harnick, that affable sage of lyric writing, arrived onstage
to sing “Blah, Blah, Blah,” the Gershwin brothers’ definitive send-up
of love song clichés from the 1931 show “Delicious.”

Blah, blah, blah, blah, moon

Blah, blah, blah above;

Blah, blah, blah, blah croon,

Blah, blah, blah, blah love.

To which I’ll add my own cliché about the concert: It was blah, blah,
blah, “ ’S Wonderful.”