[Dixielandjazz] Nutty Squirrels

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 27 17:46:24 PST 2011

Harry Callaghan wrote:
> Now that you remind me, I was previously aware of Elliott and Burland but not the others.  Since Cannonball has always been my favorite jazz saxophonist, guess I'll have to pull out my 45 and give it a listen again

Dear Harry,
My identification of the Nutty Squirrels musicians was only general, to make my mouldy fig point.
This is what I have, if you are looking at specific records:

The Nutty Squirrels: Hanover HM8014
Al Caiola, Don Arnone (g) Jack Six (sb) Ronnie Bedford (d) Sascha Burland, Don Elliott (vcl)
New York. 29 October & 6 November 1959
    Uh ! Oh ! (pt 1)
    Uh ! Oh ! (pt 2)
    Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
    Something like that
    Jumping Bean
    Nutty
    Uh-huh
    Salt Peanuts
    Eager Beaver
    Bang
    Nutcracker
    Zowie !
Note: Speed of vocal track has been doubled.

Bird Watching: Col CL1589
Don Elliott, Sascha Burland (vcl) acc by Hal McKusick, Cannonball Adderley (as) Bobby Jaspar (fl) Sam Most (fl,ts) Romeo Penque (fl,woodwinds) Sol Schlinger (bar) Al Casamenti, Mundell Lowe (g) Trigger Alpert (b) James Campbell (d) + strings
New York. 26 July 1960
    Bird Watching
    Flamingo
    Cool Canary
    Sparrow in the Tree Top
    When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob' Bob' Bobbin' Along
    Yardbird Suite (rp,hm,bj,sm,ss out)
    Didee Bird
    Skylark
    Bye Bye, Blackbird