[Dixielandjazz] Applause

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jan 27 01:20:43 PST 2011

"Cranky Old Bugger" (alias Jack Mitchell) wrote:
>Personally I find such applause most irritating. I would rather hear the
music than people applauding themselves for recognising a tune.

>From the performer's angle, applause tells us we're on the right track, that
the crowd is alive, that the crowd is there (sometimes can't actually be
seen because of lights!), etc., etc.  If we have an audience that is timid
(a splattering of applause here & there), I might say over the mike
something like "please do appaud if you like something".  That breaks the
ice, and the set flows along nicely from there.  How many bars of music can
applause last to really upset a listener?

Jim Kash