[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey Trumpet - Charlie Butterfield Trombone

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 07:11:37 PST 2011

Bill Haesler wrote about a recent reissue on Retrival RTR 709062 "Here
Come The Boys" with some legends: TD on trumpet, Charlie Butterfield
on trombone, Jimmy Dorsey, Adrian Rollini, Frank Signorelli on piano,
Carl Kress, Stan King on drums and Edie Walters on vocals and uke.

Dear Bill:

How did Charlie Butterfield sound? I played in a band during my
college years, that was formed by his son, trumpeter Kenny
Butterfield. By that time, Charlie had left jazz for the security and
money of a studio musician gig. Charlie was a neat guy, who stammered
a bit, but could play the hell of the trombone, jazz or otherwise.

Many's the time he would come over to Kenny's gigs with friends like
Miff Mole, Bob Haggart, Yank Lawson et al and they would sit in. What
a great experience that was. Being on the stand with those guys was
awesome.

Kenny is still actively playing on Long Island with the Isotope
Stompers. We both went to college and then law school together. To see
Charlie's son and my old band mate in his old age, on trumpet and
vocal, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26e7tCbzQA

Cheers,
Steve Barbone