[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong in Later Years

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 19:53:19 PST 2011

Got this note from a fellow DJMLer.

(Start) "Louis gave us a lot of fine music and many many beautiful
moments also in his final years. A performance in September 1970 –
after two years of ill health, repeated visits to hospital and only 9
months remaining to live – he accompanied Johnny Cash in a performance
of Blue Yodel No 9 on Cash’s TV show. Louis plays very well with
beautiful variations behind Cash and a short solo that is very fine
too. It is a very good and very moving performance that brings that
beautiful final encounter between Billie Holiday and Lester Young on
The Sound of Jazz to mind.
None of these performances break new ground in music but to me both
give the essence of OKOM." (end)

For those who want to see this performance go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OB9iRTfrfQ&feature=related

Now, Bill,Haesler may tell us that this does not compare with the
Louis Armstrong recording of the same tune in 1930 with Jimmie
Rodgers, but then he is a bit one eyed and if he doesn't like this
1970 version has no soul. <grin>

To hear the 1930 version with Louis (I think) & Jimmie go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7rfq25JDJg

Cheers,
Steve Barbone