[Dixielandjazz] When to pack it in

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 15:52:12 PST 2011

Don:

He made two appearances here in Houston, TX in the early 90s

I believe that one was a charity event with ticket prices out of my league
but the other more in line with what we expect to pay for concerts in modern
times.

Having been a lifelong fan of his, I passed on both of them, having heard
reports similar to what you have described here.

I preferred instead to settle with the fond memories I had of seeing him at
the Club 500 in Atlantic City in August 1959 with the Red Norvo Quintet and
then again in NY's Carnegie Hall in January 1961 backed by Sy Oliver.

That's when he was really at the top of his game and truly, as Wiliam B.
Williams dubbed him, "The Chairman of the Board"

Tides
HC.

--
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts