[Dixielandjazz] Judy Eames - I'm Still Here

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 23 11:21:25 PST 2011

 interesting life dilemma>>

Hi Ginny
A problem for all entertainers. No doubt there is a period when they are not quite good enough but experience carries them through (Stritch a case in point, but I think that here experience, although apparent is not enough)
The fact that the audience enjoys it, who wouldn`t at a concert in the White House with all the ambience, I do not think  that is the main criteria. We have had a resurection here in the UK recently of a top class all round entertainer named Bruce Forsyth. He could  sing,dance,stand up, compere, anything and do it superbly with split second timing. A joy to watch..
Recently he has been exhumed to compere `Strictly Come Dancing` where  non dancers are paired with professionals and compete against each other. It is a stupid programme as the judges who actually know something about dancing are over ruled by the public, who know nothing.
Forsyth, now in his eighties, comperes this show and is AWFUL. He forgets his lines, the timing of his jokes is off and he is generally carried by his young co presenter. He can still dance a few steps and his vast  experience shows but as you might expect, he has no bounce. It really is sad to see.He is adored. applauded to the echo by the studio audience and probably by much of ther general public. To me, watching (reluctantly) on TV it is sad. I remember him when he was the compere of `Saturday Night at the Palladium` and he could hold an audience in the palm of his hand. Wonderful..
I can appreciate the urge to get back on the stage, strut your stuff, smell of the greasepaint,  and bask in the adulation, even the money,  but I prefer to remember these people when they were at the top of their form,

Cheers

Pat.