[Dixielandjazz] Roger Bobo Masterclass

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sat Jan 22 09:14:34 PST 2011

Hi All,

This post is NOT jazz related so hardliners delete now.

I present links to a documentary of Roger Bobo around his tuba
masterclasses in Italy.  This ran on French TV a few years back.  I just
found it on YouTube.  Perhaps I've already sent this.

Roger Bobo was the principal tuba for the LA Phil for many years.  He
had his fingers in a lot of stuff in the LA area.  I interviewed him
once for his concerts in Topanga Canyon series.  He then moved to Italy
and taught tuba.  There is some very fine music played in the videos,
but orchestral in nature.  There are some scenes of rehearsals and warm
up exercises.

I post this for the pedagogy.  I love the way he teaches.  Here are a
couple of highlights :

- After a student plays a passage perfectly, he explains that it was so
perfect that it didn't sound good.  He tells the student to convince the
listener that he loves her.  He then replays the passage and it is once
again perfect, but this time it rocks.

- He compares getting students to sing their parts in Italy and in the US.

- My favorite is "... if a violin player starts trying to do everything
exactly the way that Itzhak Perlman does it, then the best they could
hope for is to become a real good shadow of Itzhak Perlman."  This
statement perhaps will start a thread.  I know two musicians -- trumpet
and sax -- that are soooo into playing a certain way that I feel they
don't play as well as they could if they just played themselves.  The
sax playing is into Bechet 1933-1939 and the trumpet is a Red Allen
copy.  They do sound a lot like Bechet and Allen, but would they sound
better if they didn't try to play like their heroes?

Warning, there are scenes of Maestro Bobo in a bathing suit.

Enjoy, Gary

Roger Bobo - Masterclass of Tuba Playing

part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUwCsREatbA (many good brass
warm up exercises)

part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPfsmikOW0A

part 3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSRCbspZfw4