[Dixielandjazz] jazz obits

dj outrage djoutrage at freeukisp.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 05:03:10 PST 2011

Jack Mitchell wrote:

>>I am dragging Spike Milligan into the jazz scene on the basis that he
>>played trumpet in a dance band.
>>
>> Went to a concert of a  miscellany of Spikes stuff, including some of
>> his
>> music Ying Tong Song, Walking backwards for Christmas,last week> It was
>> put together by his daughter and in her  programme notes she said that
>> when Spike died the family wanted to put `I told you I was ill` on his
>> gravestone. The vicar vetoed this. Spike held an Irish passport so they
>> carved it in Gaelic
>
> Probably quite true, but it was Spike himself who suggested that would be
> the words to put on his headstone.
>
> Best wishes
> Jack Mitchell

Having read Spike's war diaries as a kid he sertenly was a big jazz fan,
actually it was those books that made me listen more extencively to bunny
berigan as a kid. Loved the goon shows too, so after writing this i'm
going to put one of those tapes on i think.

ps in my humble opinion, one of spike's best lines was
silence when you speak to me!