[Dixielandjazz] Kay Kyser

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 20 18:42:52 PST 2011

> From: Harry Callaghan <meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com>
>
> Interestingly, while I haven't heard the name Kay Kyser in some time,
> yesterday was the birthdate of Merwyn Bogue, who under the name Ish
> Kabibble, along with Ginny Simms. recorded "Three Little Fishes" with
> Kyser's orchestra in 1939
>
> Who among us can ever forget those memorable lyrics, "boop boop dittem
> dattem whattem chu"?
>
> And the people who bought the record that year were no doubt
> ridiculing the
> lyrics to "Sh-Boom" in 1954.

Several times a year I work with pianist, Bill Whited, when our
guitarist can't make a gig.

Bill played with Kyser, and Ish Kabibble way back when. He lives in an
old house close to the Delaware River in Philadelphia. Built about
1790. When I introduce him, I mention that historic house and he
always shouts out, "Yeah, and I'm the Original owner."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband