[Dixielandjazz] Famous Jazz Singers

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 07:16:03 PST 2011

While I am not suggesting that it qualified for him to be considered a jazz
singer, Andy Williams just before departing Cadence to record for Columbia,
recorded an
album in France, arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones.

It was not a big seller because it obviously did not appeal to Andy's
regular record buying public, but for my money it was the best thing he had
done since his premier album for the label in' 56,  "Andy Williams Sings
Steve Allen" with Alvy West and the Little Band.
He admittedly probably sold consideraly more albums after the move to
Columbia where he got to record "Moon River" which Archie Bleyer would not
allow him to do when recording for his label, although personally invited
to do so by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer

Reportedly, Archie thought "my huckleberry friend" sounded dumb..

To me, on many of the Columbia recordings, it sounded like they were
"electrifying" his voice

Maybe some day I'll get up to Branson and recall to him a telephone
conversation we had when he was with Cadence.  At the time he was still
appearing with Steve Allen on "The Tonight Show" and was just so full of
himself  that he couldn't believe that I would actually put him on hold
.
Today I'm sure he would be highly amused by it.

Tides,
HC

--
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts