[Dixielandjazz] Cymbal work

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Wed Jan 19 14:51:15 PST 2011

Hello everyone,

Here are some 1920s examples of various cymbal work, courtesy of Red Hot
Jazz.

First, Vic Berton with The Charleston Chasers (a Red Nichols). The tune is
"Imagination" by Fud Livingston
http://redhotjazz.com/songs/charleston/imagination.ram

Second, Baby Dodds playing with brother Johnny Dodds' band (Bill Johnson on
string bass). Please note how deep sounding Dodds' choke cymbal sounds.
http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/dodds/goober.ram

Third, Carelton Coon with the Coon-Sanders Nighthawks, Rhythm King
http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/coon/rhythmking.ram

4. Gene Krupa with Bix Beiderbecke: Deep Down South
http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/bix/deep.ram

This record is interesting not only for the deep sound of Gene's cymbal
(which he chokes), but also for the fact it's one of the earliest examples
of ride cymbal playing (behind Bix's solo). Note: it's the same cymbal Gene
played choked at the beginning, and again on the out chorus.

For those who might be interested, cymbals were and are sold in different
sizes and thicknesses, and they all have different sound, not matter how
close the manufacture tries to attempt to get them to be consistent.
Generally a larger cymbal has a deeper sound than a smaller one, but that
doesn't always follow through. I've played on 12" heavy cymbals that have a
very pitch sound.

I've also posted the cover and inside page from a Ludwig Drums publication
dated 1935, although the two pages are likely from an earlier edition that
might be at least 10 years previous. You'll notice that the cymbal is the
diagrams is likely about 10", while the cymbals on the set on the cover look
a bit larger, 14" or so. The cymbal on the left has ringers, like those seen
in a tambourine. This was an early version of a swish cymbal.

https://docs.google.com/a/clearwire.net/uc?id=0Bxi4XeWPYcVkZDEzMTZmZGYtNDVjMC00NTUwLWEzY2MtMWIxOGUxYWVlYjMy&export=download&hl=en

Drummers needed to have cymbals with a sound big enough so they could be
heard by the band when playing. I'm really sorry, but a little splash cymbal
wouldn't cut it. They might have had something similar to what is now called
a splash cymbal to use as an effect, but why would a drummer shell out money
for something only used occasionally?

Here's a quote from the great Baby Dodds, who was a great inspiration to
many drummers in Chicago in the 1920s (including George Wettling, Dave Tough
and Gene Krupa). From the Jazzology Press book *New Orleans Style*, by Bill
Russell. "I got two Zildjians - one large one, I guess it's about 16", and I
got a small one about 13"...The two I have, they're kinda in a lower pitch."

Regards,
Marvin