[Dixielandjazz] RHAPSODY IN BLUE

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:35:09 PST 2011

Is anyone familiar with a version of the Gershwin composition that was
arranged and conducted by Walter Murphy.

The pianist had in 1976 recorded a hit entitled "A Fifth of Beethoven",
obviously based upon the introduction to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony in what
some described as "disco  style" and followed it up, although not quite a
successfully, with a most imaginative arrangement of "Rhapsody in Blue"

Being NY based, Murphy had originally labelled his ensemble the Big Apple
Band but then dropped it as he found out someone else was already using the
name.

Even more interesting, he wrote a musical score for "Phantom of the Opera"
about 2 years before Andrew Lloyd Webber.  However, Murphy's was for the
sole purpose of recording a record album, not for a stage presentation.  I
acquired it back then and it is really quite good.
Well, that' 4 posts for me already today............I think I'm gonna go see
if I can catch a coupla more hours of shuteye and join y'all again maybe
mid-afternoon.............Oh, no, then it will be time for my siesta, which
is practically mandatory in this heavily populated Hispanic community.

Guess I'll just have to make some adjustments to my sleeping habits.

Tides
HC
--
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts