[Dixielandjazz] Tune of "The Chant" is not Dixieland

Judi K heartsjazz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 04:38:27 PST 2011

I find it interesting to 'hear' Jim or Marvin say this of "The Chant"... I
have to agree with JIm from what I have learned during my nearly 30 years of
singing with such people as Jethro Burns, and Franz Jackson and Jim Beebe,
Kim Cusack, etc...
I was told that Dixieland is a style... not songs from New Orleans, New
Orleans 'Dixieland' is a style that really could be applied to nearly any
song with the proper tempo... adding the designated instruments:
Dixieland...(Tuba, Banjo, Trumpet, Reeds,etc....
Bluegrass....(fiddle, mandolin, guitar.... Instruments and tempos and
'groove'  can give the same song the feel of that style, (Classical,
Bluegrass, Dixieland...etc)
The Chant could be played with a fully dressed orchestra, giving it an
entirely different feel/sound.
Chicago Jazz and New Orleans Jazz, although they sound somewhat alike, are
different because Chiago (Dixieland) Jazz allows the players to take solos
while the others are filling, and the New Orleans (Dixieland) Jazz band
members play through the tune together, while there are solos being played..
This is what Franz Jackson explained to me many years ago... and I might
add, that when our band did the Pritzger weddings,  we played "Hava Nagila",
and it was wonderful, even though it sounded like Dixieland (because of the
style we did it in).... We were asked to do it nine times through out the
wedding celebrations... and although it was not a "Dixieland" tune, our
style came out strong and clear.  Our clients loved it.  (Is  Hava Nagila a
New Orleans tune? --NOT)
So, take ANY song, give it an instrumentation that lends to the beat and
make it Dixieland!
It's the happy-feet music!!
--
*Judi K  ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫*