[Dixielandjazz] Just a question... Duke Ellington

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:36:48 PST 2011

It all depends on what you would like to know.
Personally I am in contact with Bob Hunt, trombone player in the big Chris Barber band.Bob studied Ellingtonia and is professor on that subject in the UK.
He played in the Ellington band when it was led by Mercer Ellington. He spoke with many veterans like Cootie Williams.Besides he made dozens of transcriptions of the 1920's - 1940's arrangements and they are the best I ever heard in person.
So if it was to be about the music itself, actually I would prefer Bob.
Another person who comes to mind is Gunther Shuller, his books : Early Jazz and the Swing Era , are excellent.They also deal with the music.
I also love the Tucker works though.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma