[Dixielandjazz] Dixie vs Trad

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Sat Jan 15 17:52:26 PST 2011

Oh, yes, I'm NOT really a historian.  I'm a MUSICIAN!!

First band was the Honolulu Hot Shots -- 7
Ukulele's, at Little Rock High School in 1949.

I've been playing and leading every since then.  I
can enlist a group of player to play
+ Trad Jazz
+ Country (I play lead)
+ Blue Grass (I play guitar or Dobro)
+ Cool Jazz (I play Jazz Guitar)
+ Bossa Nova (I play rhythm or lead)

So, everybody is entitled to an opinion.

In my case, as a leader, I have to have a vision
which I can share with the group.

"Without a vision -- the people perish.!"

I can do that.

Some people call it "opinionated"  Some people
have complained that I'm too bossy.

But, if you're the leader, you have to know what
you want, and you have to try to communicate that
to the group.

I do that pretty well.
(By the way, I have an MBA in Organizational
Behavior.. so I do know a lot about small groups.)

However... I'm not trying to WIN anything here.
I don't think this is a zero-sum game.
(i.e. Winners vs. Losers.)   If we all contribute,
we all win.

right?

RIGHT?

Rick
Keep on Contributing, Marv, and so will I.