[Dixielandjazz] To settle the Trad vs Dixieland Argument

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Sat Jan 15 10:39:55 PST 2011

 IMO:  the ONLY way to ever settle this issue is if we simply change both Names
and call it "Burger King Music"    as in Play it Your Way :))    Heck some wise band leader might even get
Burger King to Sponsor the Music World wide and put a Burger King Band to work in each joint.

Perhaps like modern day band leaders, the issue for guys like Waters and Oliver etc. in forming the
 line up for the instrumentation in their bands was simply the availability, reliability, and soberability,
and the ability to put up with and get co-operational sidemen to play in the bands.

Maybe Oliver's Tuba Player quit or showed up too drunk to play  so he hired the Bass Player and just decided to keep him.

Perhaps some bands had three sax players because they didn't have a Clarinet, and they hired a drummer because
the Banjo player broke his Banjo one night ( or more likely one of the other sidemen broke it over his head )..

It is perhaps ALL  Traditional American Music mixed and matched with Irish, Gypsy, folk and Gospel roots.
Bluegrass is also another form of early Traditional American Music with roots in Irish Jigs and Folk music, and some of it could even be considered
Jazz,  Oh heaven forbid !!!   No doubt it had influences upon the development o

  Each departing sideman in all early and even modern Jazz bands is usually trying to find their own style and sound which can also lead to diversification in instrumentation to make a NEW TRADITIONAL MUSIC SOUND  or to simply embellish upon what has already been done to attract a new and younger audience, since most young folks are always looking for something new to discover in music.

   Since many young folks today are once again "DISCOVERING" Traditional Jazz, we would all be much better off if we just went out and Auditioned our bands in front of  their large crowds and gatherings !!! and then book gigs to play it for them instead of arguing about the same old BS over and over again on this list of 600   mostly disgruntled and un- employed sidemen curmudgeons. :))

I often wonder if the musicians that played all those styles ever fought like this list over what was Traditional Irish, Gypsy, or Greek,
or French, music ???    naw   they were more civilized and just happy to have a gig :))  And no doubt enjoyed the ability and opportunities
to mix their music and influences into other forms of music.

I read recent;y that the Sheik Abba Dabba Doo is suing all Dixieland Bands that ever recorded "The Sheik of Araby" for copyright infringement
of his biggest Hit with his band  Sheik Abba Dabba Doo & The Desert Hot RagJass Band.   They performed every Midnight,  at the Oasis Tent Ballroom as the House Orchestra for forty odd years.  Belly Dancers and young Sheiks traveled for hundreds of miles per week to dance to his music and to look for Dates.