[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 15 09:18:51 PST 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 11:17 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Gluetje1 at aol.com
>
> Rick, No big deal with me but I was surprised and confused by your
> defining
> "Trad" as banjo, tuba, and the front three -- but then that was not
> what
> any of your examples below were.
> Ginny

I am similarly confused Ginny. If Trad is banjo, tuba and Watters
started the "Trad Revival" based upon King Oliver's band, then how
come Watters used a tuba while Oliver's Creoles used a string bass/
banjo and piano set up. Or did Watters pattern after Oliver's Dixie
Syncopators? If so, why didn't Watters use 3 reeds?

And why on the Watters re-issue CDs is the genre described as
Dixieland or Jazz Instrumental?

And why is the Watters "Trad Jazz" 2 beat instead of the 4 beat N.O.
style that  Oliver played?

Or did Watters actually start a new style, which some call Trad while
others use an expanded definition of trad to include all New Orleans
styles of pre 1940 jazz?

To really get confused about "Trad Jazz" see:

http://www.outsideshore.com/school/music/almanac/html/Jazz_Styles/Classic_Jazz/Traditional_Jazz.htm

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband