[Dixielandjazz] Dixie vs. Trad

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Sat Jan 15 08:45:26 PST 2011

Although Lu was copying the King Oliver band, the
time period was the 20's.  There is a drastic
difference between Coon-Sanders and McKinney's
Cotton Pickers (20's) and Benny Goodman and Eddie
Condon (30's)

The examples I cited were great examples of that
20's music..

I suppose if I was going to stick to US Trad, I
would cite:
+ Turk Murphy
+ Bob Schultz
+ Queen City Jazz Band (to get out of SFO)

My Colorado Nighthawks had the classic 3-horn
front line
and Tuba, Drums/Washboard, banjo.

The Bix bands in Chicago &c are pretty close to Trad.
Vince Guardino is definitely doing trad, but he
does use a larger front line.

There are a lot of good arrangements available for
reed & horn sections.
I will probably explore those possibilities with
Floyd Frame.

Rick