[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 13 17:08:40 PST 2011

Mea Culpa Marvin.

The here we go again was more of a comment about the futility of
defining Dixieland. Like the word jazz, Dixieland defies precise
definition. Such definition expeditions on all jazz lists end
similarly and I guess I've been involved in quite a few of them on
different lists.

I meant no disrespect to you and in fact wholeheartedly agree that the
performance of a song is what places it in a jazz or not category.

I also think your point about swing dancers is well taken. They do
indeed care, for the most part, about the history of swing, and/
Dixieland. IMO they are the new breed of OKOM Fans. And like us older
fans/players, share an interest in the development of the music, and
what times were like back in the old days. No doubt about it. I am
often asked by them what things were like in the 1940s and 50s. Who
the players were, what the Savoy was like, etc.

BUT, they are the exception to most young people today. Rather than
stereotyping, I was describing the majority of young people today, and
likewise, the majority of the audience for my band's concerts. That
majority is not comprised of swing dancers.

My band plays about 10 swing dances a year among our now 100-120 gigs
a year. Most of our audiences, while young, are not swing dancers and
do not care about the history of the music. They are more like Rock
fans who want to be a part of the event and want to be a part of the
communication between band and audience. They are not passive listeners.

And several years ago when I played in a New Orleans Jazz Band at the
Red Sea Jazz Festival in Eilat Israel, we did 2 shows, in front of
audiences of 3500 or so at each show, plus a jam session ending at
dawn with an audience of 1000 or so. Mostly young kids since this
Festival is like Spring Vacation week in the USA. We made absolutely
NO ANNOUNCEMENTS except to name the song and tell them in Hebrew that
we loved them. The audience response was deafening. They nrushed the
stage when we were done etc. We felt like rock stars. So while I
appreciate Marek's words that some Israeli kids like the history,
there are also many kids who could care less.

So yes, Marvin, I am guilty of generalizing, but not stereotyping.

I hope you will continue to join in these discussions as your opinions
are valuable to me and others on the list. And you write well. We may
agree or disagree and I am sometimes over the top, but I do appreciate
your input very much.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband