[Dixielandjazz] Song History was The Chant is Not Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 13 07:48:19 PST 2011

On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:32 AM, Marek Boym wrote:

>> Amen Jim:
>>
>> This music is played to a wide variety of audiences here in the USA
>> as well.
>> While Marvin and the majority of the "older" crowd may enjoy the
>> history of
>> a song, rest assured that most of the jazz challenged (those who
>> are not
>> specific OKOM fans) don't want to hear the historical clap trap.
>

> Most of the following of the Israeli New Orleans Function is very
> young (when I'm there, at 70 I raise the average age to something like
> 27).  Nevertheless, Eli the leader not only always mentions the
> titles, but often also who was famous for playing it.  I've never seen
> anybody stop to dance and leave in disgust.
> Cheers

Maybe so, but the audience demographic you describe does not fit the
category described by me.  You are talking about OKOM fans, not the
jazz challenged or casual audience which I described. And who might
have played a tune is certainly not the complete history of a tune,
nor has it any meaning at all if the audience has no idea who those
former players were.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband