[Dixielandjazz] the continuing saga of Evolution Mama

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 14:26:05 PST 2011

Bob, and all

from this site:
http://iwentdowntostjamesinfirmary.blogspot.com/2008/10/carl-deacon-moore-evolution-mama-mp3.html

Some of my earlier posts discussed Carl "Deacon" Moore, a fascinating
personality who became a central character in my book, I Went Down to St. James
Infirmary. Pictured here with his orchestra in 1940, Moore
(leaning against the piano) was credited as co-composer on Fess
Williams' 1927 recording of "Gambler's Blues." Born and raised in
Arkansas, Moore adopted the persona of the hillbilly hick in his
performances. His drawling vocalizations contrasted appealingly with the
 smooth sounds of his orchestra. He made only four records, all during
the same session for Decca records on August 9th, 1938. None of his
recordings have ever been reproduced since those early 78s. In upcoming
posts I shall make these recordings available - here's the first one.

"Evolution
 Mama" is Moore's strangest record. Referring to the controversy over
evolution vs creation ("Evolution Mama, don't you make a monkey out of
me") the song was written by Terry Shand . . . according to the credit
on Moore's record label, anyway. The song had been recorded perhaps
three times between 1925 and 1927, generally credited to Doc Dasher and
Eddie Heywood. Since then it has been recorded by the Even Dozen Jug
Band in 1964 (credited as a traditional tune).

and a link to the Deacon Moore recording:  https://bookworkpjw.sslpowered.com/stjamesinfirmary.ca/music_index/Moore%20Evolution%20Mama.mp3

an...interesting...recording, to say the most!

steve