[Dixielandjazz] Coleman Hawkins & Dixieland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 11 19:10:12 PST 2011

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> Or how about this one with Hawkins and The Ramblers on "Dixieland One Step"?
> Decca 6407. The sound sucks, but still interesting if you hear through the interference.

Dear Steve,
It certainly does sound awful.
So much so, I could not listen to it after the first 30 seconds.
So dug out a decent copy of the original and enjoyed that.
However, if you want hot Hawkins try this one:
   http://www.mainely-jazz.com/rhsongs/songframes.html
"Hello, Lola". The Mound City Blue Blowers. Glenn Miller (tb) Pee Wee Russell (cl) Coleman Hawkins (ts) Eddie Condon (bj) Jack Bland (g) Al Morgan (sb) Gene Krupa (d) Red McKenzie (comb)
New York, 14 November 1929
Very kind regards,
Bill.