[Dixielandjazz] Unusual Dixieland Lineup

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 14:52:59 PST 2011

I have the record.
The best tunes they did with this lineup were : Honeysuckle Rose and Crazy Rhythm.On those tracks all horns played saxophone though.
Benny Carter magnificient lead alto, and all a nice solo on Crazy Rhythm, Hawkins comes in as last and destroys them all, allthough the French saxes play great!
Here on these records you also see that Gunther Schuller made 1 big mistake in his (Further excellent) book, the Swing era.He complained that in Europe Hawkins always played with inferior rhythm sections...... well, he played with Fletcher Henderson in the US, and they were seldom better then what Rheinhardt and Graphelly (On piano) delivered here. Yes, Henderson had the great swing band in 1934, but that was when Hawkins was allready gone. Ben Webster is on those dates.
I would call these dates swing, as the rhythm is in that style. Even in the tracks with trumpet and clarinet, the collectives are not really in Dixieland style.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma