[Dixielandjazz] You need a good show to attract audience

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 15:09:35 PST 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Don Ingle wrote:

> On 1/10/2011 12:33 PM, Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>>
>> Who says the hoi polloi don't like good music? I suspect this
>> happens all over the world. IF YOU PRESENT IT RIGHT THEY WILL COME.
>> No doubt, Louis Prima (or Louis Armstrong) with the "Saints Go
>> Marching In" would have gotten the same reaction. So how come most
>> OKOM bands don't thrive?
>>
>> Are we too busy presenting "My Canary Has Circles Under Its Eyes"
>> as Art Music?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve Barbone
>> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband
>>

> Don answers: Hey! What's wrong with "My Canary Has Circles Under Its
> Eyes?" I've played it for years, learned it from Rosey McHargue, who
> learned it from the drummer with Maurice Sherman's band in 1920's
> Chicago (pianist Ray Sherman's dad), who leaned it in turn from the
> recording by Sophie Tucker. We're talking HISTORY  here, my dear
> Stephen, and way above the hoi palloi pay scale! <G>
> Next thing some one will want to downgrade "T'ain't no sin to take
> off your skin and dance around in your bones!" . . .  and a pox on
> such unfeeling bastards. Mercy!!!
>
> (Bet you our Ozian friend Bill Haesler has a copy of Sophie's
> "Canary" record somewhere in his endless and always surprising
> collection. I have it on tape right next to her "There's a Blue
> Ridge 'Round my Heart, Virginia." Talk about Art Music!) <GG>
> Don (Ah, yes - Art for Art's sake - and what everhappened to Art,
> anyway)  Ingle

Mea Culpa Don:

Nothing wrong with the tune at all, for us jazz heads. However, most
folks are not jazz heads. History may be good for us, especially
Haesler, but the hoi polloi could care less.

When they hear T'ain't  Nobody's Business" by Asylum Street Spankers
there is precious little history connection for them about Bessie or
Billie. They just dig the tune and the vocal because Asylum Street
does it superbly, conveying a message that is relevant to todays kids.

Once again, here is that link. Who wouldn't like this presentation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_AwAtB09M

If bands do that with Canary we'll all be busy. <grin>