[Dixielandjazz] The Asylum Street Spankers was Western Swing as OKOM

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 9 17:38:07 PST 2011

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> On 8 January 2011 17:27, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net
> > wrote:
>> Is Western Swing OKOM? Before reading the below, check out:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YUI15MuoRY&feature=related
>
> Beforehand, after their After You've gone, I answeed "yes."  Now,
> having listened to other numbers, Im' not so sure.

I don't disagree Marek. IMO, Western Swing as a definition has the
same problems as OKOM or Dixieland as a definition.  Virtually
impossible to really nail down the exact definition of them that would
suit everyone.

Example, Bill Haesler doesn't seem to appreciate today's version of
Western swing when he says that he stops at 1942, meaning (I think)
that those prior to that are OKOM but perhaps not the later versions.
If so, then he doesn't appreciate bands like The Asylum Street
Spankers, even though they play "Tight Like That"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOQ2yBoDOVs&feature=related

or "T'ain't Nobody's Business"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_AwAtB09M&feature=related

It certainly is MKOM though not necessarily anyone else's KOM

I draw a lot of inspiration from performances such as these, and the
many other YOUNG bands that make this music relevant to young
audiences. Asylum Street fills up the local Philadelphia venue (World
Cafe Live) when they make their rare appearances here. I am always the
oldest fart in their audience and can't help but wonder what would
happen if they played at an OKOM jazz Festival, but I think they are
about to disband.

Their biggest hit was: "Stick Magnetic Ribbons on Your SUV".   (which
offends some, but is IMO great Satire)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmsOIjzQ1V8&feature=related

And then there is always the X rated "Scrotum Song". <grin>  Wot, says
Haesler, I thought that was JaDa. Caution before listening. You may be
offended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkfJbsTOtqg&feature=related

Point being it is the message as well as the music that gets to
today's young people.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband