[Dixielandjazz] Hot Club of Cowtown

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 16:53:46 PST 2011

That Western Swing sound was Bob wills and Texas answer to embrace Jazz
as presented by Django Reinhardt and his Hot Club, a natural evolution of the music
by hip players with big enough ears and ideas to add their own improvisational ideas
to jazz of the day.  Just like in personal opinion, Django borrowed from Gypsy Music to make his own sound.

Then did not the Dorsey's expand upon the Western Swing sound bringing it back to more horn influenced ?

Music is nothing but a bunch of notes, it's what you do with them, and How you play them that makes them Swing and interesting or NOT!

Now this is what I mean.  The Hot Club of Cowtown sounds, at least on

After You've Gone, very jazzy.  If this is western swing, the answer

is unequivocal yes.  But it isn't always.

Cheers