[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 15:26:20 PST 2011

Hello folks,
Just back from another show by the New Orleans Function.  That band is
getting better from show to show, and expands its repertoire all the
time.  I was particularly impressed with its arrangement of Careless
Love, on which Eli Preminger, the leader, played the melody behind a
hot clarinet solo by Koby Salomon.
The programme was devoted to Louis Armstrong, so all songs played came
from Satchmo's repertoire.
This time the band had guests - Jeremiah (a black puppet) and his
friend Dr. Allan Blummenstyk (a dentist in real life).  I have never
heard a singing ventriloquist before, but he did a very good job.
Jeremiah spoke English and sang with a very American accent; his
"friend" spoke fluent Hebrew.  For "Hello Dolly" he brought Dolly on
stage, and sang in a female voice.  And he DID swing!
A very nice evening indeed.
This time the audience was a little older than usual for this band,
but, at two months short of 70, I still seemed to have been the
oldest.
Support live jazz!