[Dixielandjazz] Evolution Mama

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 8 14:03:17 PST 2011

"Evolution Mama" is one of those songs inspired by Charles Darwin and
his publishing of Evolution of Species. Like "In Monkey Land" or
"Evolution or "The Darwinian Theory" or Too Thin" - "Darwin's Little
Joke", "Aba Daba Honeymoon," etc. These songs started as early as 1874
or so. Even Gilbert and Sullivan wrote a musical play replete with
Darwinian digs called "Princes Ida", circa 1884.

Here is what one essay says about the "pure" meaning of the peanut
whistle as opposed to the double entendre meaning put forth by Dav
Richoux's research. The Essay  is "Singing His Praises - Darwin and
His Theory in Song and Musical Production." by Vassiliki Betty
Smocovitis

"African-American voices were not silent on the subject of evolution
either. They
responded with songs like “Evolution Mama,” written and performed by
Eddie Heywood
and “Doc” Basher, that fell into an early jazz/blues genre. It too
played on the theme that
“you can’t make a monkey of me,” though in this case the protest was
clearly against
female romantic control. The voice here is distinctively African
American, since peanut
vendors in America were usually African American"

Searching the lyrics for Evolution Mama, one also finds the phrase,
"like that store bought piece", rather than "like that store bought
yeast". The former could relate to a "working girl".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

On Jan 8, 2011, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com