[Dixielandjazz] no smoking!

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jan 7 18:07:27 PST 2011

Jim Kashishian wrote:
> Well, after all these years describing the local clubs we play in as being
> loud, hot & with a low cloud of smoke, I must now delete the smoke part!
> That is due to (finally!) a decent law against smoking indoors publicly
> anywhere in Spain.

I remember when they did the same in California.  Everyone forecasted that all of the bars would go out of business.  They are still in business.

I was working a couple nights a week in SF at the Gold Dust.  The smoke was so bad that we had fans blowing the smoke back at the customers.

The place was a tourist bar.  You would get a bus load of Germans or Australians come in, say, "What, no smoking in a bar???!"  And they were out of there.

The joint lost over half of its business.  They finally started looking the other way when people would light up.  They figured it was better to pay the fine rather than go out of business.

But, things have leveled out and the bars are still open.

The Gold Dust, as far as I know, went to Rock so I haven't worked there in several years.  Plus, it was quite a drive from Sacramento to SF.

--Bob (How do you say servaca in Spanish?) Ringwald