[Dixielandjazz] audiences & smoke

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 8 03:30:24 PST 2011

As I stated in an earlier post on the subject of smoking in Spain, we have
been playing all this week at a club in the center of Madrid.  We normally
have a week to two weeks a month in this particular club, so we know the
type of audiences we can expect (over a 25 yr span! there!).

It is agreed, after 5 nites under the non-smoking law, that the audience
numbers have not dropped, as all the hotel/bar people were claiming would
happen ("Huge job losses expected" read the headlines..).

In fact, there are more people than ever.  And, even more telling is that
the crowds are basically made up of a different type of people.  Five of us
in our 5 piece band have all come up with this same conclusion (4 are
non-smokers).

This is a less enlightened (jazz wise) audience, but soooo much more
appreciative.  Did these people used to stay at home not wanting to try to
fend for themselves in a smokey atmosphere?  We don't know.  We just know
that the place is jammed every nite of the week (always was, but now even
more!), and that the crowd seems a bit shocked at what they see/hear, but
are extremely attentive & appreciative.

Not one single person has attempted to light up.

Jim (I smell GOOD!) Kash