[Dixielandjazz] $1,000,000 Raised to Refurbish The Central Plaza

Thad McArthur wthadmc at whidbey.com
Thu Jan 6 05:31:56 PST 2011

Dear List,

A month ago tonight (Dec. 6th) perhaps the second biggest entertainment event of the year took place in NYC.  It had strong connections to OKOM, it looked as big as the Oscars and was unreported here on the DJML.  Bob Cantwell, 17 years the leader of his band at the Red Blazer at 87th and 3rd Ave in NYC, while holding down his day job (Captain of Homicide with the NYPD), provided the music with his current band (Sol Yaged plays in the band and was honored for his 88 years) at a sold out (1500 capacity, Fredrick P. Rose Hall, Lincoln Center) $1000 a ticket fund raiser which Bob conceived to remember Jack Crystal (Billy's father, Commodore Records, MC and Impresario at the Plaza) and The Central Plaza, the largest and best jazz venue in NYC in the late 40s thru the 60s.

Jack's son, Billy Crystal, was the main honoree--the Central Plaza building is now part of NY University--Billy was class of 1970, and together with Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg and Bob, provided most of the entertainment which was directed by Martin Scorsese.  Billy did an extended tribute to the career of Robert DeNiro.  Most of the big names in show business took part or attended including Meg Ryan, Tony Bennett, Leonard DeCaprio, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Samuel L. Jackson, Ron Howard, Alec Baldwin and perhaps 100 other headliners. The Show opened with South Rampart Street Parade and Closed with The Saints.

One of our guys originated, promoted and played OKOM in an event that looked as big as the Oscars (w/o the publicity and TV) and raised over $1,000,000 for one of our hallowed venues and we didn't even know about it??

Thad McArthur