[Dixielandjazz] Muskrat Ramble name? (Bob Romans)

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Wed Jan 5 18:19:44 PST 2011

>I ran into this recently on the liner notes of Good Time Jazz
>L-12004, "Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band 1954."  One part of the liner
>notes was headed

"How I Wrote Muskrat Ramble"
By Kid Ory

Although I taught myself how to play the valve trombone at the age of
10 (1896) and the slide trombone at the age of 14 (1900), it wasn't
until 1919 that I took my first formal music lesson. My teacher
insisted that I should learn how to write music so that I could
better understand how to read it and interpret it.

After I finished with my first teacher, I decided I wanted to learn
the saxophone, too. It was while learning this instrument that I was
sitting there one day, running the scales and doing arpeggios and
just sort of noodling around, when all of a sudden it seemed to me
that I had hold of a melody. I started putting it down on paper and
adding here and there to fill in the gaps until I finally had the
meter worked out. It sounded all right to me but I wasn't too
enthusiastic about it, so much so that, although this took place in
1921, I didn't start playing it with my band until 1923. I was
playing a taxi dance hall in Los Angeles and it became one of our
best numbers with the fans, but it was still nameless.

When I joined King Oliver in Chicago in 1925, I also started
recording with another ex-employee of mine, Louis Armstrong, and the
now-famous Hot Five. It was during one of our 1926 recording sessions
for Okeh Records that we were short of a number to finish the session
and I happened to have my music with me and we recorded my number.
Just as we were leaving the studio, Mr. Fern, the Director of A & R
for Okeh, asked what was the title of the last number we recorded. We
all looked at each other after I stood there not answering, and Lil
Armstrong helped me out. She turned to Mr. Fern and said, "Its title
is Muskrat Ramble" and added, turning to me, "Isn't that right, Red?"
I told her, "I'll go for that title;' and we all laughed and left the
studio. Now it had a name. And it stayed that way until Melrose Music
published it and old Mr. Melrose didn't like the sound of the 'rat'
part, so, on the sheet music, he changed it to Muskat Ramble. But the
copyright still reads "Muskrat Ramble by Edward Ory.

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org