[Dixielandjazz] Muskrat Ramble

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 5 13:11:26 PST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  "Bob Romans" <cellblk7 at comcast.net>
>
> I heard once that this tune was originally "Muscat Ramble" after
> Muscatel
> wine that the early jazzers drank in the jazz clubs. True?
> Warm regards,
> Bob Romans,

Probably not Bob.

That legend first appears In the introduction to a Cross Word Puzzle
Book:

Simon & Schuster Crostics #115  by Thomas H. Middleton

Basically the intro says that Mr. Middleton a Dixieland Fan, had
noticed that on records, the title was issued in error a few times as
Muskat Ramble, or as Muscat Ramble, in addition to the correct Muskrat
Ramble. (He was using the words in a crossword puzzle).

He remembered an old buddy of his that was a drunk, referring to
drinking muscadoodle. His pal said this was a common name for muscatel
wine, and a way to a cheap drunk.

Then Middleton thought that Muskrat Ramble might be referring to
Muscat, or Muscatel because Muskrat's didn't Ramble, they waddled.
Also, he theorized that a Muscat Ramble would be when his alcoholic
buddy ran out of wine and commenced searching for more Muscatel.

Hence the urban legend you heard was born.

On the other hand, Kid Ory said he wrote it circa 1921 and Lil Hardin
named it. Then Louis Armstrong said he wrote it and Ory named it. Then
Sidney Bechet chimed in saying it was originally a Buddy Bolden tune
called "The Old Cow Died and The Old Man Cried."  Claiming further
that Ory et al merely stole the tune.

Take your choice as to what is correct. <grin>

I use this story when introducing the tune to audiences, along with a
reference to the Country Joe and The Fish recording of the tune "Feel
Like I'm Fixin to Die Rag" which copies the chorus. Many in our non-
heads audiences hear this tune, cite Country Joe's version saying they
didn't know that was jazz.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband