[Dixielandjazz] banjo tunings

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Mon Feb 28 00:09:25 PST 2011

This is a short list of the most common used banjo tunings outside the five
string world. For five string banjos I know of about seventy different
tunings mainly used for minstrel and old-time mountain country music.

If the instrument have no short thumb drone string you can use following
standard tunings.
-six string, standard guitar or banjo guitar  EADGBE
-four string 17-17 frets jazz tenor banjo and tenor guitar CGDA or  DGBE
(Chicago tuning= first four of the guitar tuning)
-four string 17-19 frets Irish/Old-time tenor banjo and tenor guitar GDAE
(=octave low mandolin tuning)
-four string 21 frets plectrum banjo CGBD. You can apply Chicago tuning DGBE
also here.
-four or eight string melody banjo or banjo mandolin GDAE (same as fiddle)
-four string banjo ukulele GCEA or ADF#B (chording pattern as per first four
of the guitar)

I use GDAE Irish tuning when playing old-time music on one of my Gibson
TG-50 tenor guitars. It works perfectly as the most commonly used keys in
old-time/Irish music (G,A,D ) will fit into the lower finger board
positions. Standard tenor C position will be a Irish G etc. but the
fingering pattern is the same as for the standard CGDA tuning. Of course you
have to accommodate the string gauges accordingly=heavier strings.

Ulf Jaegfors
Stockholm