[Dixielandjazz] Golden Eagle Jazz Band

Katie Cavera kcavera at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 27 17:14:03 PST 2011

Hi Creight!

I just returned from playing at the Farmer's Market in Montrose, California with
the Gremoli Jazz Band where I play with Mike Fay and Walter Sereth. We play
there nearly every Sunday and I even made a little YouTube video of the band
which you can see here: (I'm playing bass and running the camera at the same
time, so you can't actually see me in this video...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfX4TkG-gA
Mike Fay is actually playing tenor banjo in this band.  And if you pause the
video at the right moment, you may notice that he  plays a beautiful custom made
tenor banjo that used to belong to Leon Crabb. (He's on the far end wearing
sunglasses.) Leon passed away several years back and I was happy that I had the
chance to meet him and play with him while he was still around.

Mike Fay also continues working as a bass player most notably (IMHO) with the
Grand Dominion Jazz band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-sJ3uP84T8

Glenn Calkins moved from the Los Angeles area up north - just north of San
Francisco.  He plays up there with several bands including the Eldorado
Sycopaters and you can find him on YouTube too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlzPROymTA

Shoosh still leads a "revamped" version of the Golden Eagle Jazz Band and they
play twice a month at Steamers Cafe in Fullerton California on Sunday
afternoons.  Unfortunately Ken Smith retired from playing a few years ago, but
Shooshan still leads a very nice New Orleans style band.
Hope that helps!
- Katie Cavera
 http://www.katiecavera.com
http://www.youtube.com/kcavera