[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Peabody, banjos

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 13:49:36 PST 2011

Hi Bud,
The tenor is tuned to same notes as viola, or each tone a fifth lower than
the violin.  (Mandolin is tuned same as violin except two strings per
note.)  This open-fifth tuning makes flying finger single stringing  easier.
Some do like the open chords, some don't.
Probably the most common tuning of all these days is to tune either a tenor
 or plectrum identical to the highest four strings on the guitar (giving up
the  bass).  Players differ on whether they prefer the tenor or the
plectrum neck tuned this way.
And yes, banjitars are relatively easy to find, banjo head on a guitar
neck.
A few months ago one of our list band leaders posted on how much he liked
this banjitar sound in his band.

This banjo-guitar is what Johnny St. Cyr played.  Another early jazz
banjoists, Elmer Snowden, also used a lower that standard tuning.  Irish  tenor
is tuned a fifth lower for Irish jig music.

The reason I stick with only teaching tenor or plectrum tuning to youth is
that all jazz banjoists of greatest rep and fame have played standard
turning --  and no I don't know why this is.  There are really fine banjoists on
other  turnings.  Eddy Peabody tuned his lowest note to D instead of C, as
does  current jazz banjoists, Sean Moyses, from Great Britain, but living in
Germany.

I just read a very positive CD review written by Eddy Davis on Tom  Stuip's
CD.  Tom has his own individual tuning of a plectrum.

Now I've said far more about tuning than most of you ever want to  know.
There's all kinds out there -- like a soprano uke, etc.

Ginny

In a message dated 2/25/2011 9:40:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,