[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Peabody, banjos

John Gill smokewagon at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 18:36:42 PST 2011

Hello
Could not help but notice the chatter on Eddie Peabody and banjos. I enjoy the jovial atmosphere that surrounds the banjo and that includes all the jokes and wink wink nod nod humor. One of my favorites, listed under things you will never hear anybody say, was "oh, that's the banjo players Porsche". I was glad to see that some folks pointed out that banjo players are not the only instrumentalists to bring havoc to a jazz band. Drummers, bass and tuba players, trombonists, etc are all equally capable of destroying the sound of jazz music. Some time ago I saw where someone wanted to know why there are so few recordings of jazz bands with banjos prior to 1920. Well the answer is that 4 string banjos were a relatively new item to the music world. The 4 string banjo came along around 1915. Up to then banjos had 5 strings, or 8 strings (like a mandolin) or 6 strings. They were strung with gut strings and they were considered to be solo instruments, or they
 were played in ensembles made up of other fretted instruments. That's why you find guitars in the early jazz bands, there were no 4 string banjos around as we know them today. The Art Hickman Band was one of the first to use a banjo on recordings around 1921-22. Hey, jazz recordings of anykind that predate 1922 are rare.
So Eddie Peabody, he was an entertainer he was not a jazz artist. You don't have to be a jazz performer to be a significant performer. He was also very good on the banjo and made a career performing the popular songs of the day. His career lasted 50 years, he developed one of the most popular banjo designs, The Vegavox, he remains one of the most famous of banjo players (he must be in the top 5) and he found time for a career in the Navy reaching the rank of Lt. Commander on a submarine during WW1. He had an unusual performing style that included a lot of acrobatic jumping around and a singular vocal style. A comment was made on his "short arms". He was a tiny man with very short limbs so he did look a little unusual. I was told once that his diminutive stature was due to a childhood illness, but I don't know if that is true. Anyway he was great banjo player and most important he turned a lot of people on to the banjo.
Someone mentioned Bela Fleck. He is also a fantastic banjo player. He plays 5 string banjo and utilizes it to play some very modern jazz music, and modern classicle music. He is also very good at classic bluegrass banjo. I don't think he's ever played any 4 string banjo. I got to make a record with him once, it was fun.
Regards
John Gill (half baked banjo player)