[Dixielandjazz] stirring the pot ... Banjo battle

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 07:33:12 PST 2011

Thanks, Jude, in fact thanks a lot.  As you know, I like to try to  play
decent banjo, also know some wonderful rhythm guitarists.  So I  had to sit on
my hands yesterday not to try for some quick, spiteful  retort.  It helped
that my first grand child, baby Eli, had arrived the  night before and I had
other wonderful things to see and think about.

But as they say, look to your own self, so I had time to reflect on my
comments this year about not being able to appreciate jazz violin.  And  yes,
there are plenty of other, maybe even musical, events that I  cannot
appreciate such as overpowering string bass and/or cymbals.

Tis so true, we need to look to the noise-maker, not the instrument, and
maybe the leader for not leading, or the band for not having the sound we
wish  to play amidst.

Finally, Bela Fleck is an avant-garde, unbelievably skilled  five-string
soloist equally astonishing with classical music, think Bach and  such.  Also
does jazz on five-string.  But I have no knowledge of him  playing via
strumming rather than finger-picking.  No doubt he has played  some great
Dixieland tunes along the way on five-string.  Doubt he has ever  spent significant
time in a rhythm section trying to insure that he is giving  the front line
clean, simple rhythms with correct chords and plenty of space for  their
solos.  I'm sure there is plenty on YouTube and via googling for  those
curious about the phenomenon that is Bela Fleck.

Ginny

In a message dated 2/24/2011 5:01:37 A.M. Central Standard Time,