[Dixielandjazz] Ella Mae Morse (NPR segment)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 03:10:23 PST 2011

Thank you, Bob:

That was most infomative.  I understand that there was a situation similar
to Ella Mae lying to Jimmy Dorsey about her age.

I remember reading that Harry James signed Mel Torme (as a drummer, not a
singer) and then had to fire him when he discovered that he was only 15.

While the only other musician backing her that was mentioned here was
Freddie Slack, you might be interested to know that on the clip of "Oakie
Boogie" that they played, she was backed by Nelson Riddle.  Certainly a
different Riddle sound that we later became accustomed to backing Nat Cole
and Frank Sinatra.

I only know because I played the 45 on one of my shows within the last
month.

Tides
HC

--
Didja evah wonder why there are more horses' asses than there are
horses?