[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Peabody--Steve Barbone writes

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Feb 22 17:41:07 PST 2011

To:  DJML & Musicians and Jazzfans lists

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Steve Barbone writes---

From: Stephen G Barbone [mailto:barbonestreet at earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:11 PM
To: Norman Vickers
Subject: Re: Eddie Peabody-- Phil Pos

I don't know about a record but how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REFKmlzV5vE
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REFKmlzV5vE&NR=1> &NR=1

He was the KING of the banjo. Perfect for the times, (vaudeville)  but
perhaps not today. He did record a bunch of records after 1948 when Art
Mooney's record of 4 leaf clover hit the charts and popularized banjo again.
Not sure if everyone would call it jazz, but the man was a hell of an
entertainer i n his time. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_-o-eadSw
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_-o-eadSw&feature=related>
&feature=related

See his bio there by clicking on what looks like corporal stripes under the
# of hits. (10,650 or so). He was a hell of a guy.

He also invented the banjoline. For samples of that sound see: (Scroll down
to mp3s)

http://www.jazzbanjo.com/subsite2/vol7no4/banjolinep1.htm

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

'

>>We sent out a post on Eddie Peabody.  Phil Pospychala,  director of the
Bix Festival in Racine, WI sends this brief note.

>Phil P. Wrote:

>I do an imitation of Peabody jumping up and down and flapping his short
arms around in the air.  What a strange looking dude in his youth.  I can't
imagine young people today >getting excited over his antics.   I don't
remember a good jazz record with him on it.  Anybody?

--end--