[Dixielandjazz] Bassist Steve Gilmore responds-- NEA To Cancel Jazz Masters program

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Feb 22 07:35:44 PST 2011

To DJML & Musicians and Jazzfans lists

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Bassist Steve Gilmore- longtime member of Phil Woods jazz group-responds to
Howard Mandel's note about NEA plans.  Steve now resides in Panama City, FL
when not traveling.  Steve writes:

I'm not a member of the JJA and just a simple jazz musician trying to
scratch out a living in this increasingly technological based world. I think
all of the award receivers are wonderful artists - many friends and
acquaintances of mine and deserving of the afore mentioned accolades.
However none of them that I know of really need the money and I wish that
somehow a vehicle could be established that would funnel some of those funds
to those who could really use it. The guys and gals who are out there in the
" trenches " so to speaks playing this music and the ones who are really
keeping it alive. I don't know what the answer is or even what the question
is but this viewpoint might merit a little thought. Perhaps shave just a
little from our multi trillion military budget?

              Steve Gilmore

                                          --end--