[Dixielandjazz] Stirring the pot -> young trad. players

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 02:39:13 PST 2011

While I have seen Dixieland musicians dressed as Joe described, and
our own Stompers usually wear straw hats on stage, it was very seldom
that they played "multi-themed tunes too fast and with absolutely no
feeling."  The Stompers, now all gray haired indeed, play quite well,
certainly with feeling.
Even the British "trad" bands often were much better than described by
Joe.  Acker Bilk's band has indeed sported ridiculous waistcoats
(vests in American), but its music was often inspired, and has become
even more so when the pressures of commercial stardom were gone.

For some reason, various "hot jazz ensembles" in the UK (usually
quartets featuring a cornet of a clarinet, brass bass, bnajo and
either a pian or drums) often dress that way, but their music is, in
general, excellent.
Cheers