[Dixielandjazz] Stirring the pot -> young trad. players

Nancy Doran Giffin nancyink at surewest.net
Sun Feb 20 15:33:36 PST 2011

REGARDING:
Message: 8
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:51:37 +1300
From: Joe Carbery <joe.carbery at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Stirring the pot

Joe Carbery wrote:
"Dixieland" (as applied to music) conjures up for me a group of portly
grey-haired men in straw boaters (I forget what the appropriate US term is),
striped waistcoats and sleeve-gartered shirts playing multi-themed tunes too
fast and with absolutely no feeling. I know Condon's music was described as
dixieland, but he loathed the term. "Trad Jazz" was a term coined by pub-
licists in Britain to describe a very commercial type of "traditional" jazz.

Hello, Joe and list mates!

Rest assured there is a new generation of Dixieland jazz musicians who do not
fit your description, above. Last weekend, I attended the TJYBF (Trad. Jazz
Youth Band Festival) in Sacramento, CA, and I saw almost 300 students
(elementary through college age) playing "Dixieland" or "traditional jazz"
or as Eddie Condon preferred: "hot jazz" or "classic jazz."
You can thank Yvonne Au, mother of three fine jazz musicians, for coming up
with the idea and organizing the event for the past 6 years. It has grown
and proven to be quite a good source of education and inspiration for our
younger players. STJS (Sac. Trad. Jazz Soc.) sponsors the event, and I
would recommend this event to anyone who wants to donate money toward the
preservation of traditional jazz. http://sacjazz.org/youthfestival

Cheers,
Nancy