[Dixielandjazz] Hootchy-Kootchy Music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 20 08:33:42 PST 2011

How would we categorize "Hootchy - Kootchy Music? Small Band Swing or
Dixieland? <grin>

Thanks to Nancie Beaven for noting the "indecent music" prohibition
which I researched a little further to come up with the following.

Seems that in 1925, the police in Washington DC, USA, published an
order forbidding "indecent music".  There was some diversity of
opinion as to exactly what sort of music the police were supposed to
suppress. Below are quotes excerpted from a 1925 Edition of "Time
Magazine"

"Said Mrs. Mina Van Winkle, chief of policewomen: 'That tom-tommy sort
of Oriental music that makes men forget home and babies.' "

"Said the Assistant Corporation Counsel : 'You know what I mean, that
hootchy-kootchy sort of intonation.' "

"Said Sergeant Rhoda Milliken, policewoman : 'Any music played on a
saxophone is immoral.' "

The Mina Van Winkle quoted above, was a famous woman's rights activist
back then, and won her battle to get women appointed to the police
department in DC back around 1922 or so. The tom tommy music she
refers to is the sort John Petters plays. (just kidding John) I
suspect she refers to all those Oriental songs that were hits back
then like Hindustan, China Boy, Chinatown my Chinatown, Japanese
Sandman etc.

The "tom-tommy" music is the sort John Petters plays. (just kidding
John)

One has to wonder. though,  about that immoral Saxophone Music. Was
Kenny G around back then?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband