[Dixielandjazz] DeDe Pieerce-New Orleans cornetist/ Billie Pierce/ Goodson sisters

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 16:07:45 PST 2011

Billie and De De Pierce visited Israel twice in the early 1970's, with
the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  And what a band that was, with Willi
Humphrey on clarinet and Big Jim Robinson on trombone!  Cie Frazier on
drums and Alan Jaffe on sousaphone completed the band.
I in particular remember their show at the old Roman amphitheatre in
Caesarea, where the band played, unamplified, to an audience of few
hundred - the place was full to capacity.  What excellent accoustics!
By the time they reached Just a Closer Walk, which started at a
whisper, the public was so enthralled and quiet that one could hear a
pin falling.  I had no car at the time, got there by bus, and had to
trabvel home by taxi - but it was worth it!  I followed the band to
haifa as well.
On the second visit, I already had a car, which caused my missing one
performance - I promised to meet an American friend at the airport and
drive him to Jerusalem.
Cheers