[Dixielandjazz] Banjoist Gil Roberts

Dradjazz at aol.com Dradjazz at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 11:28:24 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/18/11 7:54:05 AM,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Robert 'Gil' Roberts (1896-2002). Banjo/guitar. Member of the
> Buffalo-based Blue Ribbon Syncopators (1924-28), allegedly played with Louis Armstrong
> (no recordings) and accompanied singer/dancer Josephine Baker. Recorded
> with the New Black Eagle Jazz Band (1974) and Blue Horizon Jazz Band. Member
> of a longstanding Amherst family of African-American and Native-American
> (Montauk) ancestry.
>
> He was no slouch as a musician either.
> Listen to "Scratch" by The Blue Ribbon Syncopators recorded for Columbia
> in New York on 29 April 1927.
>    http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/blueribbon/Scratch.ram
> I loved the band from the minute I heard it on an early Historical LP back
> in the i960s.
> Very kind regards,

Richard and Bill --

Yes, I see you've sussed out banjo player Gil Roberts' story who, according
to Stan McDonald, was quite a character.

In our radio interview in the program, Stan's story of bringing Gil out of
musical retirement around 1957 is moving   --   Roberts was shovelling coal
in the basement of a Boston college fraternity club.   Gil became very
active again in the New England Trad Jazz scene encouraging young talent and
adding his own unique vaudevillian sparkle to many bands . . . including the
Black Eagles 20 years later.

Audible here:
Visiting Stan McDonald Pt. 3BB.mp3   (beginning at 28:00 in)
http://jazzhotbigstep.com/50401.html

I'm sure Stan would be happy tell more of the story of Gil Roberts with
whom he remained close until Gil's death at over 100 years to anyone interested
in querying him at: stanmm at comcast.net.

Dave Radlauer